Monday, March 21, 2011

March 21, 2011

With the second cup of tea down in the system, and memories of yesterday's Holi being still fresh in mind, no words were spoken. Today it was Uncle who started the conversation the second time, "What's up" uncle inquired the second time, "You are very silent today?". "Nothing" I replied. "Nothing" he repeated. "But where is the गुजिया and कांजी" हे murmured again, and seeing my wife through the kitchen window he shouted, "Do not worry I'm not going until I have had my share of Gujiya and Kanji" and without taking a pause he added "You celebrate or not, but I have to have my share" Uncle was right, nothing stops, life must always go on my "Chachi" had expired about two months back and there was no mood to celebrate Holi this year in the family, but like each year in the past preparations were made for color and sweets."टेसू" flowers were brought, boiled with a pinch of "चूना" and what you have is good home made herbal water color. Some of the flowers are soaked overnight and the final bath after होली is taken with it leaving a special fragrance on the body.
Colors were made and so was "गुजिया" milk was turned to खोया and that खोया into the filler with coconut and dry fruits, and not to forget "Kanji" was also made.

Like each year a large plate of colors was placed in the verandah.


Seeing newly weds came to play holi bringing red color with them reminded me of the color Red color dress wore by my wife and so was the red bangles wore by my wife, when we got married and the sound it made each time ............ memories are memories.


The Newly weds were still having their share of sweets when the local politician entered with purple color in his hands, so true to himself, like the Brinjal he too had no base... "Thali ka baigan" his black hide thickened with all the corruption did not stop him to mention that Japan was under such a tragedy, with so much destroyed, smilingly he said, if this earthquake had happened here in India, he would have made himself several crores, and a sure seat in the Lok Sabha, true Indian politician Brinjal and so was the color in his hand.


The politician left hurriedly, I presume he had seen our faces turning red, with anger. Then came the a small group of salaried people, with the color yellow in their hands. What was happening why was everyone choosing colors this way, their yellow eyes clearly showing lack of nutrition, with the sky rocketing prices of eatables their raise which they got this December was just not sufficient, making two ends meet was really really difficult.


Had this salaried group not gone far when two with the color green and saffron came, busy arguing on high pitch on matters which I think are so personal and belong to our souls and nothing outside that. Not commenting on either of them I just offered then the combo of Gujia and Kanji, and did not disturb them or their pointless argument.


Then came the youth group, singing "Sheela, Munni and Darling", what uncle you are still with the old .. grow up uncle get yourself some permanent colors .. look here we are into permanent marks, I could see most of them had Tatoos made over their body ... what to say ... speechless I noticed that some were even in compromising positions ... "Do not worry Uncle" one of them said "Radha and Krishna hain ... raas leela hai Sir ... why worry", what about Rukmani I inquired, and added "Faithful husbands n wives go straight to heaven" and prompt came the reply "Rest enjoy the heaven here on earth ... Sir"


They left me speechless too, I had I not played holi, I think I also played Holi, and all had left my face multicolored, and within I was truly red, reminding me of my newly wed days when the world was under my feat and time had stopped, but now I noticed "Time was moving fast and the world under my feat was also shifting" for good or bad I do not know - Maybe you could tell me..... Holi hai .... I shouted and asked my wife for another cup of tea .....

No comments:

Post a Comment