Friday, March 22, 2013

March 15, 2013 - Legal or not

The morning was as usual, nothing new, same old coffee table, same beautiful and understanding wife, bringing the same good aroma coffee, same newspaper filled with Rape cases. Nothing was new.

Nothing was new or was my heart expecting something, was it a lull before a storm. Whatever it was, I was always prepared, sipping my coffee. My wife as usual had just brushed her wet hair over my newspaper making that special sound of rain dropping.

The water content was a bit more today, Mr. Kalia prepare yourself there is going to be another argument today, the raindrops were telling me. Keeping my eyes on the news I just acted as if there was nothing to say, getting offended was out of question.

Before I could say anything, the girl from my neighbourhood came and greeted me with a smile. If "Dennis" had a female version it would be this Girl. and with my salt and pepper hair I would always pass as the "Grandpa".

"Uncle, you are great" she said. The starting lines told me that she wanted me to drive her to her classes, not because I do that on a regular basis , nor had the price of Petrol fallen, nor my Car runs on CNG, neither do I have any understanding with her parents.

With so many reasons for not driving, you may ask why would I drive to her classes. Simple reason is she had her starting lines "Ur Gr8". These lines always told me, the whole box of Amul Butter is coming my way. So before she started using it I said "U want me to drop you to classes again". She said nothing, just winked and gave me a big smile.

I finished my coffee, my wife had already left to bring the car keys, she knew that there was something which was confusing the young girl, she wanted advice, something she was too shy to discuss with her parents, something she wanted expert advice on, something which was really confusing her.

My wife had just passed the car keys to me, when she came forward to take the keys from me. "You will have to wait for two more years before you take my car keys" I said with a stern voice. She just smiled and just mumbled some words. "What did you say" I inquired. "Nothing" she said and went and sat on the back seat with my wife. "Kya Hua" my wife asked her. She said nothing, and we drove in silence.

But just before she got down she said to my wife. "These politicians are better than you all, you tell us not to drive till we are 18, you do not let us drink till we are 18, and you also do not let us marry till we are 18, but these politicians allow us at 16".

Not knowing what to say my wife just looked at me, and we both drove back in silence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment